Monday, October 29, 2007

Pumpkin and spice


That's what pumpkin pie is made of... Yeah it's that time of year. I know the change of season is nice for many reasons but I get excited about change of foods. Sure you can have pumpkin pie any time nowadays, but to me it's the quintessential right of passage to the fall season. The color, the scent of cinnamon and ginger, it all just screams FALL! I crave that first bite of pumpkin pie, ideally to be savored while looking out the window at the changing leaves while drinking a hot cup of coffee. A slightly silly thing to become excited about but oh well, that's what does it for me:) (nerdy I know)
Over the years I've tried several different pumpkin pie recipes, but I always come back the the one on the back of the Libby can for Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie. In my opinion it's the perfect pumpkin pie recipe. I like the balance of the spices and how smooth and silky the pie's texture is when baked. With a few of the recipes that I've tried I was disappointed with the texture of the pie. I've had a few that were slightly grainy. I've never had that happen with this recipe. The only modification I make is I add about 1/2 cup of half and half to the recipe for 2 pies. I think that the pie is just a little more silky with the addition of half and half. I've also recently discovered cinnamon whipped cream. YUM!! It's wonderful with this pie and super simple.
1 cup of whipping cream
1/4 cup of confectioner's sugar (you can use regular sugar if you like)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Whip cream until slightly thick, slowly add the sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Whip until cream holds soft peaks. Dollop liberally on pie!


6 comments:

Eva said...

I've never ever had pumpkin pie but your description sounds so good that I'd like to try it! Will you post the recipe later or have you done so in an earlier post already?
In Sydney, we're heading towards summer but we have pumpkin all year round (feels weird though).

Half Baked said...

Hi Eva,
I added a link to the recipe on my post. Just click on Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie to go to the recipe I used. I hope you like it!!!

Nora B. said...

I LOVE pumpkin pie. Yours look so tempting! One of the recipes I've used is one that has maple syrup (yummm!). I also sometimes serve it with candied pecan.

Cynthia said...

A perfect slice with a perfect crumb.

Half Baked said...

Nora,
Maple pumpkin pie sound great! I'll have to try it sometime.
Cynthia,
Thanks!

Eva said...

Thanks for the link! This is going to be my first ever pumpkin pie!