Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Too wet to go out...




"Too wet to go out, too cold to play ball, So we sat in the house and did nothing at all. And all we could do was to Sit! Sit! Sit! and we did not like it, not one little bit."


The Cat in the Hat was my favorite story as a child. I made my mom read it so many times that I could recite word for word. The first part of the book came to mind to day as I sat in the house today because it was pouring rain, very windy, and about 28 degrees outside. I was just sit sit sitting and did not liking it one little bit, and then I got hungry! So to ward off both boredom and hunger I decide to make one of my favorite cold weather dishes, white chicken chili. I'm sure the Cat in the Hat would approve and it doesn't make as big a mess as Thing One and Thing Two.
Ingredients:
5 Tbl olive oil
1 med. onion chopped
1 can (4oz.) chopped green chilies
3 Tbl flour
2 tsp ground cumin
2 cans Great Northern or Navy Beans
a few dashes of hot sauce(optional)
14.5 oz of chicken broth
2 large (about 8 oz) chicken breast cut into small pieces
1 Tbl chopped cilantro
sour cream and grated Monetery Jack cheese for optional topping
In a large skillet heat 2 Tbl of olive oil. Add chicken and cook until cooked through 5-8 minutes. Remove chicken from the pan and add the remaining 3 Tbl. of olive oil, cook onion in oil for about 4 min. until transparent. Add chilies, flour and cumin; cook 2 min. Add beans and chicken broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmmer until thickened about 10 min. Add chicken . Top with cilantro. Garnish with sour cream and cheese, if desired.

2 comments:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

White chicken chili is one of our favorites... perfect for a chilly afternoon!

Cynthia said...

I never tried this before, looks very comforting.