Friday, June 27, 2008

Blueberry Ice Cream



This is the blueberry ice cream we had at our last farm dinner. I used blueberries from our farm. They are small but very flavorful. This makes a very creamy ice cream. A full fat yogurt can be substituted for the half and half to make an equally delicious frozen yogurt.

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries (See Note)

3/4 cup water

1 cup sugar

1 cup half and half

1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice

2 tsp vodka (optional)

Directions:
In a heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the fresh blueberries, water and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to help dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let stand for 30 minutes to steep.

Transfer the blueberry mixture to a food processor and process until smooth, about 1 minute. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and stir in vodka. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours.

Add the cream and lemon juice to the blueberry puree and stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours or up to 3 days, before serving. Makes about 1 quart.

Note: If using frozen blueberries, make the sugar syrup by combining the water and sugar in a saucepan, bringing the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, and cooking it until clear, about 1 minute. Put the frozen blueberries in a heatproof bowl and pour the syrup over them. Let cool and then transfer to the food processor. Proceed with the recipe.

4 comments:

Mike of Mike's Table said...

I had big plans for making a blueberry frozen yogurt with blueberries from my backyard. The day for picking was near, and suddenly, not a single berry remained. It seems the animals in my neighborhood and I share good taste... :o

But pests aside, this looks really tasty! The color you got in the ice cream is wonderful

Anonymous said...

I made some blueberry ice cream last year. Don't you just love the color that it turns?? Yours looks great!

Susie Homemaker said...

Thanks to you, I made some of this deliciousness today - take a look if you have a spare minute - I hope you don't mind me adding a link to your recipe...

Kristina R. said...

I am in the process of making your recipe now. Do you mind if I write about it in my blog? http://aboutabitofeverything.blogspot.com/
Please let me know.