Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Autumn Pumpkin Muffins with Pecan Toffee Streusel


I don't know what happens to me in the Fall, but I become a little pumpkin obsessed! I can't seem to make enough with pumpkin. Maybe it's because we have such long hot summers here in the South that those first cool days make me want to celebrate. I'm not sure the reason, but I do know that this time of year I crave spicy, pumpkiny, nutty, goodness.
I've had Rebecca Rather's Pastry Queen cookbook for a while now and everything I've made from it has been wonderful. I decided to give her pumpkin quick bread recipe a try. I made muffins rather than the loaves and added toffee pieces to the topping. Why? Because I love toffee too and thought I'd throw all my favorite things on top of these muffins.

This is also my entry for this month's Sugar High Friday. This month's host is Dessert First and the theme is spice. Check out all the other enrties here on Oct 31


Autumn Pumpkin Bread with Pecan Toffee Streusel

recipe from Rebecca Rather's The Pastry Queen slightly adapted

Muffins
1 1/2 cups pecan pieces (divided)
1 cup vegetable oil, such as canola or safflower
3 cups sugar
4 lg eggs
1 (15 ounce )can pure pumpkin puree
1 cup water
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt

Topping
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 toasted pecan pieces (above)
1/2 toffee pieces
If you like a lot of the streusel, you may want to double this part.

Preheat oven to 350. Arrange the pecans on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast them in the oven for 7-9 min., until golden and aromatic. Reserve 1/2 cup for streusel topping.
Grease standard size muffin tin with butter or cooking spray.
Whisk the oil and sugar in a large bowl. Add the eggs, pumpkin, and water and whisk until combined.
In another bowl whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, and pecan pieces.
carefully mix the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture.
Fill the muffin pans almost to the top with batter.

For the struesel
Stir together sugar, butter, cinnamon pecan pieces, and toffee. Sprinkle liberally over tops of muffins before baking.
Bake muffins 30-35 minutes.
Yield 36 muffins or you can make this into two loaves by equally dividing batter between two greased loaf pans and baking for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

These muffins are very so flavorful and aromatic, like taking a bite of Autumn. I suggest brewing a pot of coffee as they cook, because you'll want to eat one of these muffins as soon as they emerge from the oven.

14 comments:

Zoe Francois said...

These look fantastic! Just the inspiration I needed to use up all my pumpkin puree. I love the toffee streusel.

Anonymous said...

I have read through the ingredients a few times...am I missing where the pumpkin is listed? I see the directions ask for it, but don't see how much to use...

Half Baked said...

opps! thanks anonymous. I added the pumpkin in the ingredient list!

Sandie said...

lol...yes, pumpkin is a necessity in these muffins ;-)

You had me at pecan toffee streusel. Those 3 words strung together gave me serious, serious cravings!

RecipeGirl said...

Oh, delicious. Toffee in the streusel just puts it over the top for me.

I know what you mean about the pumpkin. I actually have a dinner on tap tonight using freshly baked pumpkin!

Thistlemoon said...

I am SO with you on the pumpkin obsession! I think it is a healthy one! These muffins look like heaven!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I've been really pumpkin-obsessed lately, too. These look like a nice change from my usual pumpkin bread/muffin recipe.

grace said...

great use for pumpkin--i'll eat anything that's been streuseled, anything at all. in fact, i'll eat the streusel part right out of the mixing bowl, no muffin required. :)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

You had me with "autumn pumpkin muffins," but the "pecan toffee streusel" put me over the top.

Anonymous said...

Oh jeez these sound amazing. I made some pumpkin bread last year and although I love it, it didn't have that spicy pumpkin pie taste. I can't wait to try these -- oh that streusel...

Rosie said...

Oh my goodness these look fantastic! I love pumpkin and lnow where you are coming from :)

Rosie x

Katrina said...

Yum! Man, there is sure some good stuff out there! These included.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Oh my this is definietly bookmarked!!!

Rosie said...

Oh this is so delicious the pecan toffee streusel just hits the right spot for me :)

Rosie x