Friday, November 28, 2008

Burnt Caramel Cake



I was excited about this month's daring baker's challenge. I love caramel cake but I was worried that I may not have time to squeeze in the challenge this month. I'm really glad I did because this is a really good dense cake. I didn't have the right size pan so I made mine in an 8 inch cake pan. It made a thicker cake so I had to cook it about 6 minutes longer. After my cake cooled, I split the cake into two and put the frosting in the middle as well. I added sea salt to the frosting which really complimented the burnt sugar flavor.
This was a fun challenge and I loved the finished cake!
Thanks to our hostessShuna Fish Lydon of Eggbeater, for sharing her signature cake recipe! The recipe can be found here . Helping to host this month's challenge as well are, Alex of Blondie and Brownie, Jenny of Foray into Food, and for all your gluten free questions, Natalie of Gluten-a-Go-Go. Check out all the other DB'rs cakes here.

13 comments:

Katrina said...

Looks GREAT!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Your cake looks terrific! Great job this month!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous cake!! I didn't think I would have time to do it either, but I just had to make it since I love caramel so much! I used sea salt in the frosting too and I found that it really enhanced the flavor!

Shari said...

I love your ruffled frosting on the edge!

Anonymous said...

It looks gorgeous! Someday I will learn to pipe like that.

Anonymous said...

Now you did it. I'm hungry. Hey I read the bourbon maple recipe as 11 1/2 oz bourbon instead of 1 1/2 oz. Ha. I think I might try that one. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful cake! Well done!

TeaLady said...

Your cake is lovely. Great job.

Deborah said...

It looks wonderful! I love how you decorated it.

grace said...

some of the previous daring baker endeavors have been eh for me, but this one makes me wish i was a member. it sounds delicious, and you did a tremendous job. :)

Rosie said...

Your cake looks stunning :)

Rosie x

glamah16 said...

Gorgeous! Judging by your posts you baked up all sorts of wonderful hoilday goodness.

Dolores said...

I'm glad you enjoyed our little celebration of sugar. :) Thanks for baking with us this month!