Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Carrot Muffins


I somehow ended up with two large bags of carrots in the vegetable bin in my fridge. Don't really know how. Carrot fairies maybe??
Anyway I needed to use some of the carrots right away. These muffins seemed like the perfect use for excess carrots! While not as healthy as the oatmeal banana muffins, they have lots of fruit and a little oatmeal, so I tell myself they're kinda healthy. Well health food or not they are tasty little muffins!

Carrot Muffins

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups grated carrot, squeezed mostly dry
1 lg Granny Smith apple peeled, grated, and squeezed dry
1 (8-ounce) container crushed pineapple, well drained
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup walnuts roughly chopped (optional)
3 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with paper liner or use a silicon muffin pan.
In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Add carrot, apple, pineapple, oats, and walnuts, mix together until well combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, and vanilla. Pour egg mixture into the fruit mixture and stir until combined. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan filling muffin cups about 3/4 full. Bake until wooden toothpick comes out clean about 35 minutes. Remove from pan and place on wire rack to cool completely.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always have left-over carrots and this would be a perfect recipe! the muffins look yummy!

Mermaid Sews said...

Sounds good, although my husband would talk me into turning these into mini carrot cakes and demand frosting!

Anonymous said...

They look wonderful. I think I'm going to have to go the banana muffin/bread route..REAL SOON!
haha xox

grace said...

i wish these carrot fairies would pay me a visit! these are lovely, although i'm with mermaid sweets' husband--gimme some cream cheese frosting! :)

Kelly said...

I love carrot muffins and carrot cake. Apple adds so much flavor to carrot cakes, and it adds a lot of moisture too. Your muffins look really yummy! With a cup of hot tea, I would me a very happy girl.

maria said...

Those little darlings look so yummy.

But I would have to add a little vanilla frosting on top. I can't help it. I have a very STRONG sweettooth.
Maria

J.L. Danger said...

Those carrot fairies need to cruise by my place!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I wonder if your carrot fairy knows my celery fairy?? I hate celery, but we always have TONS of it!

Anonymous said...

i love your blog! so glad i found it!

Elyse said...

Kinda healthy works for me :) These muffins look delicious, and oh-so moist! I love a good carrot cake or muffin. Soooo good!! Sorry I'm so late getting around to commenting; I'm in the middle of exams and my google reader has been somewhat neglected. Anyway, so glad that I'm sneaking a moment to check blogs...I may have to make these muffins during a study break later!

Eliana said...

Carrot cake is my specialty but I have never made it with fruit before (and would have never thought to do so for that matter). And hey - this recipe has a vegetable and fruit - it's healthy if you ask me.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Beautiful carrot muffins. I am always on the look out for new carrot baking recipes - thanks for sharing with us.

Panya said...

I just made these, subbing the Granny Smith with a Golden Delicious [that's all I eat], and they're great! My 2-year-old niece and almost-5-year-old nephew love them [I'm sitting for them today, and baking these muffins was our cooking project]. I'd planned on putting a bit of leftover homemade cream cheese frosting on them, but they don't really need it. Really yummy. I think next time I'll add some flax seeds and wheat germ, just up the health quotient, but the flavor of these muffins is fantastic.

Unknown said...

These look and sound fabulous! How many muffins (regular size) did the recipe make? I want to know if I should double the recipe so that I can freeze some for the kids lunches. Thanks!

Half Baked said...

Hi Melissa, I get about 2 dozen regular sized muffins from this recipe. Enjoy!