Monday, August 10, 2009

Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins


I came across this recipe when I was searching for a recipe to use up my sad old bananas. I always buy bananas with the thought that we need more fresh fruit in our diet. Despite these good intentions, we rarely eat them after I bring them home. For whatever reason we'll eat one or two and the rest just sit there. I hate to waste food so I usually try to use them in baking. So these bananas became banana macadamia nut muffins, which pretty much defeats the purpose of buying bananas so that we eat more fresh fruit. It's the thought that counts right??!!

Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins
Bon Appetit, June 1991

1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1 cup unsalted macadamia nuts, toasted, chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease twelve muffin cups or line with muffin papers. Sift first 4 ingredients into large bowl. Combine bananas, both sugars, butter, milk and egg in medium bowl. Mix into dry ingredients. Fold in half of nuts. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops of muffins with remaining macadamia nuts. Bake until muffins are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer muffins to rack and cool.
These muffins are very tasty. I love the crunch of the nuts on top. Next time I make these I think I'll throw in a little coconut as well.
(Print Recipe)

What could make these muffins even better? Nutella!!! Now we're talking... I think I'll buying more bananas soon!

13 comments:

apparentlyjessy said...

The muffin pictures look delicious, but then the Nutella and muffin pictures sent me over the edge, am now drooling over the keyboard! lol

Unknown said...

Nutella makes EVERYTHING better... these muffins look wonderful!

grace said...

a hearty shmear of nutella is CLEARLY the perfect addition to these muffins. i love the little macadamia sprinkles on top, too. delightful!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Better than peanut butter and chocolate would be banana and Nutella in my books:D

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love the combination of bananas and macadamia nuts, and these muffins look delicious especially with nutella!

Susan @ SGCC said...

What a great idea to add macadamia nuts to these muffins! They look soooo good, especially with the schmear of Nutella. It doesn't get any better than that!

Elle said...

It's the Nutella that makes 'em healthy...nuts are good for us and so is chocolate! Love the addition of macadamia nuts, too.

Anam said...

The muffins look delicious..love the combination:) btw gave your blog some award ..plz accept em!thanx!

Juliana said...

Nice muffins, love the combination of banana and macadamia nuts, looks really yummie!

Fahrenheit 350° said...

Nutella makes everything better! But, I have to say your muffins look like they'll hold their own!

Anonymous said...

Great job with these muffins! Nutella definitely makes everything better :)

Daziano said...

Maybe unconsciously you keep your bananas to bake these goodies? ;)

Zoe said...

Nutella goes perfectly with these! Looks great!