Friday, February 11, 2011

Strawberry Panna Cotta

Panna Cotta is on of my favorite desserts, so when I saw this recipe for strawberry panna cotta, I had to give it a try. Strawberries and panna cotta sounded like the perfect combo. Not only is it a wonderful dessert, but it's pink too!  What better to celebrate Valentine's day with your sweetheart with than a creamy, delicious, pink panna cotta.
Panna cotta can be placed in ramekins and unmolded, or for an even simpler but elegant presentation, simply pour the mixture into a martini glasses or other glassware. 
Strawberry Panna  Cotta
(Printable recipe) 
source: Gourmet  | May 2002
3 cups sliced strawberries (1 pound)
1 3/4 cups well-shaken low-fat buttermilk
6 tablespoons sugar* (or more according to taste)
2 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin, from less than 2 (1/4-oz) envelopes
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

Blend strawberries, buttermilk, and sugar in a blender until very smooth, then pour through a very fine sieve into a medium bowl, pressing hard on solids. Discard solids.
Sprinkle gelatin over milk in a small bowl and let stand 1 minute to soften. Bring cream to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and add gelatin mixture, stirring until dissolved. Whisk cream mixture into strawberry purée and pour into molds or glasses. Chill, covered, until firm, at least 8 hours.To unmold, dip molds in a small bowl of hot water 2 or 3 seconds, then invert panna cottas onto dessert plates and remove molds. If you don't want to unmold the panna cotta, just serve if you them in whatever you chilled them in.
I topped mine with a little bit of whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
 * Note: I added 2 extra tablespoons of sugar. I tasted the base and it was a little too tart for my taste.
My sweetie pie is still in Iraq, so I guess I'll have to make it again when he gets home.

Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!


bellini valli said...

Happy Valentines Day!!! I have panna cotta on my bucket list of things to make and this seems as good a place to start as any!!

mitzi said...

Looks wonderful. I love creamy desserts. Valentine's day will be everyday in 3 weeks:)

lynne said...

Yum! This looks amazing!

Mary Beth Downey said...

This looks SO yummy, Paula! Come follow me over at Just got it up and running!

Mary Beth Downey said...

This looks yummy, Paula! Follow me on Just got it started up - lots of food posts to come! Won't be ANYTHING as good as "half baked." :)

ABowlOfMush said...

Wow this looks so delicious!!
Perfect for after a romantic dinner :)

grace said...

sorry you're missing your sweetie this valentine's day! this is a super-tasty treat, though, and one i'm sure he's looking forward to eating!

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

Happy Valentine's Day! I've never tried panna cotta - but it sure looks delicious. The texture, I think, would be beautiful.

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

Ps. Thinking of you as your sweetie is in Iraq. That's a tough time. My Dad went away for 6 months to Iraq. I hope all is well.

Sarah | Yahoo! Shine said...

What a special, romantic recipe for Valentine's Day. It's so visually lovely too (your gorgeous pics help!).

This would make a perfect contribution to this month's Shine Supper Club which is all about our sexiest dishes. Hope you will join us!