Monday, April 8, 2013

Strawberry Cake

Strawberry cakes are a Southern cake staple. However, almost every recipe I've found are made with a cake mix and strawberry flavored jello. I have been looking for strawberry cake recipe that's made from scratch,for quite sometime. I was thrilled when I found this recipe by I Made That using pureed strawberries in the batter. No cake mix or jello required! 


A couple of weeks ago, I was drooling over the keyboard browsing King Arthur's website, and came across a product they sell called cake enhancer. It's supposed to make cakes, and other baked goods, lighter, fluffier, and last longer. It can be used in almost any type of baked good from cakes to bread. I was intrigued and ordered a box to try. I decided to use it in this cake and see what happened. My cake did have a really nice light fluffy (almost box mix like) texture. I can't wait to use the cake enhancer in some of my other recipes. 
Cake enhancer was not in the original recipe so don't feel that you need to have it to make this cake. 

Strawberry Cake
Source: I Made That, ( slightly adapted)
PRINTABLE RECIPE

2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 Tablespoons King Arthur cake enhancer (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
1/2 cup butter (one stick), room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
1 cup pureed strawberries (put berries in the food processor or blender to puree)
1 teaspoon lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 9" (or three 8") cake pans with rounds of parchment and butter well or spray with a non stick baking spray.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cake enhancer, if using. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, and vanilla and almond extract. Set aside.
In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes until it forms a paste like texture.  Scrape the bowl down well, and gradually add the eggs in a slow stream, beating  for about 1 minute at medium speed. Gradually add the buttermilk mixture. Mix for 1 minute at medium speed. Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Stir in the pureed strawberries and the lemon zest.
Divide the batter equally into the prepared cake pans and bake 20-25 minutes or until the cakes spring back when touched lightly in the center. Allow the cakes to cool before removing from the pan.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
source: Recipe.com
8-ounces cream cheese
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
6 Tablespoons strawberry preserves
1  teaspoon vanilla extract 
4  cups confectioners' sugar
1  pinch salt

In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter at medium-high speed  until smooth. Add strawberry preserves and vanilla, beat until combined. Add confectioners' sugar and salt. Beat at medium/low speed until the sugar is combined and the icing is smooth. If necessary, add in a little milk to get a smooth consistency. 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! This looks delicious! I, too, have been looking for a non-box strawberry cake so I will have to give your recipe a try. Hope you are doing well in your neck of AL :)

Anonymous said...

Stumble on your blog through Gibiru. I was also looking for a strawberry cake recipe made without cake mix or jello. Can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

grace said...

i'm so relieved not to see jello gelatin as an ingredient. i know some people swear by it, but it's not how i like my strawberry cake!

Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen said...

Isn't Starwberry Cake Divine?! I love this version. I found you on Kitchen Meets Girl. I would love to have you link up at my Show Me Your Plaid Monday's! http://www.pandpkitchen.com/2013/04/07/show-me-your-plaid-mondays-17/