Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Pineapple Upside Down Bundtlets

Pineapple upside-down cake is one of my childhood favorite desserts, as I mentioned when I made this apricot upside-down cake. Today when I had some leftover pineapple I needed to use up, pineapple upside-down cake came to mind immediately. Instead of making the cake in my cast iron skillet like I usually would, I thought I try making it in these cute little bundt pans I bought a while back. I bought these mini bundt pans a couple of years ago, mostly because I had never seen small bundt pans before and I thought, "How cute, baby bundts!" Yes, I buy bake ware based on looks sometimes, shallow, I know. Anyway because the pans are cute, and I love making individual sized desserts (also for the cute factor), I decided try using them for this cake. The mini bundt pans, made the perfect, individual, pineapple upside-down bundtlets.
 Little baby bundtlets, adorable!


Pineapple Upside Down Bundtlets  
(printable recipe)

Yields 6 one cup mini bundts
Ingredients:

For the topping
4 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 8 ounce can of pineapple slices, drained. Reserve juice.
1/4 cup pecan pieces

For the cake
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
reserved pineapple juice and milk to equal 1/2 cup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 maraschino cherries (Optional, for garnish)

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 6 one cup capacity mini bundt cake pan(s) with non stick cooking spray. You can also use the the super mini bundt mold pans or a muffin tin but will have to your adjust cooking time.
For the topping:
Melt the butter in a small glass bowl. Stir in the brown sugar and place bowl in the microwave. Heat for about 30 seconds on high heat just until the sugar melts. Spoon brown sugar evenly into the mini bundt pan molds.
Sprinkle the nuts over the brown sugar mixture, dividing them evenly between each bundt mold
Place one pineapple ring in each mini bundt pan. Depending on the size of your bundt molds, you may have to cut the pineapple rings to fit. 

For the cake batter:
Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg and beat well.
In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add about one-third of the flour
mixture to the sugar and egg mixture, then one-half of the juice and milk mixture and mix
together. Repeat until the flour and juice mixtures are mixed into the batter. Add the vanilla. Blend until smooth. Pour the batter over the pineapple dividing it evenly into each bundt cake mold. Place bundt pan(s) on a baking sheet to catch any overflow while baking. Bake 25 to 28 minutes, less (about 15 minutes) if you have the really mini sized bundt mold pans, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for 5 minutes. To remove the cakes from the pan, place a sheet of wax paper or
foil over the top of the pan. Place a wire rack face down on top of foil, flip over, and let sit
a few seconds. Lift off the pan. The cakes should remain on the foil or waxed paper.
You may have to spoon some of the nuts and sugar back onto the cakes.
Slice the cherries in half. Place half of a cherry in the middle of each mini bundt cake.

I've noticed recently that mini bundts are suddenly everywhere. I bought these individual 1 cup capacity pans a few years ago. At that time these were the only mini bundts I had seen, but now there are lots of different pans to chose from. You can use any mini bundt pan you have for this recipe, but your cooking times can vary widely.
You can find these pans here
I love my individual bundtlet pans, but I've got my eye on this pan

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I haven't made pineapple upside down cake in years. I have a few mini bundt pans somewhere in the kitchen. Will be making these for the Mother's Day dinner I'm hosting on Sunday!
Thanks,
Michelle
http://sapphireridge.blogspot.com/

ardiana said...

my mom would absolutely love these!! maybe i should make them for mom's day!?

take a look at my baking blog!!
http://asmalltowncupcake.blogspot.com

grace said...

bundtlets may be my new favorite word. these are so cute and tasty and convenient. yum.