Saturday, May 3, 2008

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt


I've never tried to make frozen yogurt before. It's probably because I associate frozen yogurt with the late 80's frozen yogurt craze. When frozen yogurt places were cropping up everywhere. It was touted as healthier because it was yogurt, not ice cream. However, the end product had so little to do with actual yogurt that many of frozen yogurt places had to take the word yogurt out of their advertising. I never liked it. It was so sweet and gummy. The store bought varieties weren't much better. I never found one that I really enjoyed. I think it has something to do with the texture. So I haven't even eaten any frozen yogurt in quite a while. While trying to find a recipe for strawberry sorbet, I came across David Lebovitz's strawberry Frozen yogurt. I was intrigued. He description of French frozen yogurt made me want to give this recipe a try. David Lebovitz's book The Perfect Scoop has hundreds of wonderful recipes and tips for making all kinds of ice creams.
With an abundance of strawberries at the farm right now I decided to give frozen yogurt another chance.
This recipe is super easy and unbelievably delicious, I foresee making this all the time. It's so good that you won't believe it's got about half the fat of ice cream. I can't wait to try making it with our fresh blueberries when they're in season!

David Lebovitz's Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

About 1 quart (1 liter)

"French yogurt is astoundingly good and I suggest you use a good-quality, locally-produced yogurt for similar results."

1 pound (450 g) strawberries, rinsed and hulled
2/3 cup (130 g) sugar
optional: 2 teaspoons vodka or kirsch (I used vodka)
1 cup (240 g) plain, whole milk yogurt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Slice the strawberries into small pieces. Toss in a bowl with the sugar and vodka or kirsch (if using) until the sugar begins to dissolve. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, stirring every so often.

Transfer the strawberries and their juice to a blender or food processor. Add the yogurt and fresh lemon juice. Pulse the machine until the mixture is almost smooth. If you wish, press mixture through a mesh strainer to remove any seeds.

Chill for 1 hour, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

9 comments:

glamah16 said...

Your reading my mind with this frozen yougurt. Fresh strawbeeries and homemade frozen yougurt. How better can it get!

Deborah said...

I haven't had frozen yougut in ages. There was a gas station in the town that I grew up in that had the BEST frozen yogurt. Kind of crazy!

This frozen yogurt looks so delicious and fresh!

Chibog in Chief said...

oh my, i have never tried freezing my yogurt yet but your photos are so gorgeous i cant wait to do it!! i still have some strawberries left from my recipe yesterday, guess i know how i will use them :-)

Honeyed Hashette said...

Mmmmm.
I just got my new Food and Wine magazine yesterday and it has LOTS of frozen yogurt, ice cream and sorbet recipes.
As soon as it gets crazy Texas hot here I will make some. This looks so refreshing!

Honeyed Hashette said...

Oh and I added you to the "fellow foodies" on my blog.

Rosie said...

With the warm sunny day here in England this is such perfection to my eyes with your strawberry frozen yougurt! It looks so good and tempting I wnat to lick the screen *giggle*

Rosie x

Brilynn said...

I can't wait until we start getting fresh strawberries so that I can make this, looks great!

Gigi said...

Strawberries are everywhere at the farmers market. I think I am going to pick some up and try my hand at frozen yogurt. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

the color on that is beautiful.

i have yet to find a recipe in the perfect scoop that is not outstanding.