Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sweet Potato Curry Yeast Rolls


This is an idea for rolls that I've been kicking around for awhile. I make sweet potato biscuits frequently and love the flavor. So I thought I'd try making sweet potato yeast rolls. To give the rolls a little kick I decided to add curry to the dough. I've had curry rolls with currants or raisins in them so I threw in some currants in as well.

I think these are a nice change from your usual yeast rolls. I love the wonderful fragrance from the curry, as well as the lovely color it gives the dough. The sweet potato in the dough gives the rolls a nice soft texture, and the currants give a bit of sweetness to the rolls.

Don't let the yeast scare you. These rolls are really quite easy to make, even if your not that comfortable making yeast doughs.

Sweet Potato Curry Rolls

Makes one dozen rolls
2 tablespoons or 2 packages active dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup cooked, pureed cooked sweet potato
1/4 cup (1/2 stick), melted butter
1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste)
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 eggs
3 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/3 cup currants or golden raisins
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
In a large bowl,(I mixed it up in my kichen-aid bowl) combine sweet potatos, oil, curry, salt, eggs and currants. Add yeast mixture to the sweet potato mixture. Add flour to the yeast/sweet potato mixture. Mix well and using the dough hook attachment, knead until smooth about 4 minutes. If not using a Kitchen aid, knead dough by hand until it's smooth. Place in a warm area free of drafts and let dough rise for 1 1/2 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Roll out the dough and cut into 12 same-sized pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place on buttered cookie sheets far enough apart to allow rolls to double in size without touching. Let rolls rise for an hour or until doubled in bulk.
Bake rolls at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.

6 comments:

glamah16 said...

Now thats innovative! Looks wonderful.

RecipeGirl said...

I'm into the sweet potato bread thing too. I made sweet potato croissants last Thanksgiving, and I make sweet potato biscuits to go with pulled pork for sandwiches. The addition of curry sounds interesting.

test it comm said...

Rolls made with sweet potatoes and curry are a great idea!

Rosie said...

What a great idea sweet potato and curry rolls!! They look wonderful :)

Rosie x

grace said...

these are some round and beautiful rolls! i particularly love the studlies of currants sticking out--they look like little eyeballs on some of the rolls. :)

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Sweet potato curry rolls: interesting and I'm guessing delicious. Great stuff!