Monday, February 16, 2009

Honey Shortbread




I love shortbread cookies. All that flaky buttery goodness. What could be better? Well how about shortbread with a toffee-like layer on top and just a hint of saltiness? Oh yeah it's really good and super easy to make as well. The honey melts into the top of the shortbread and kind of caramelizes on the top. Paired with the salt and the buttery shortbread...in short (pun intended) yum!
Honey Shortbread
Nonstick cooking spray
7-1/2 oz. (1-2/3 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
6 oz. (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 Tbs. honey
1 tsp. kosher salt (I used gray sea-salt)

Spray a 9-1/2-inch tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray.

In a food processor, briefly pulse the flour and sugar. Add the butter and pulse until incorporated and the mixture is sandy and uniform. Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan with your fingers. There will be some loose crumbs around the edges, but most of the dough should be solid and compact. Refrigerate until chilled, least 30 minutes.
DSC06779
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Using the tines of a fork, dock the dough evenly all over. Bake the shortbread until golden in the center, 40 to 45 minutes.

Heat the honey in the microwave until warm and liquid but not boiling, about 10 seconds. Pour the honey over the shortbread and spread with a pastry brush over the entire surface. Sprinkle the salt evenly over the honey. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 3 minutes more.
DSC06790
Transfer the pan to a rack and let the shortbread cool slightly, about 15 minutes. While still warm, remove the tart pan ring and cut the shortbread into 12 wedges with a sharp knife. Cool completely before serving or storing. The cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week.
Source: Fine Cooking
October 23, 2008

14 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Beautiful shortbread, that would go well with my coffee this morning.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

To keep it short I would have these anytime:D

Elyse said...

Oh my goodness! This shortbread sounds divine! I love the idea of the honey making a crust over the top. The textural and flavor combinations sound so deliciously enticing. Can't wait to try this one!

grace said...

shortbread is so wonderful--simple yet tasty, and so open to variations. i love this.

Tammigirl said...

I have to try this. I love shortbread. I just found your blog today and I've subscribed so I don't miss anything from here.

Suzy said...

These sound great. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Mmm...yes, please. I've been wanting to make shortbread...This recipe sounds fabulous!

VelezDelights said...

This looks really really good! =)

Dewi said...

I love shortbread especially homemade shortbread. Have a slice of this and some tea in the afternoon, that will make me the happiest person. Your shortbread with honey sounds so delicious.
Cheers,
Elra

kristiane said...

I made this today and it was wonderful-- almost too wonderful. I can't stop eating it!

Anonymous said...

Honey shortbread sounds perfectly enticing. I think I am ready for a slice right about now.

test it comm said...

Honey shortbread sounds really good!

Laura said...

Those look evil good!

meghan @ scratch-made wife said...

OK, so I totally made these tonight using all whole wheat flour and love, love, love 'em! These little shortbreads are keepers. Thank you!